Dear Phil and all,

Replies below. Two documents that may be of interest. The project was
initially stopped by Parliament and after the PIA two documents were
produced: one on ethical standards
<http://aquas.gencat.cat/web/.content/minisite/aquas/projectes/visc/garanties_etiques_us_dades_visc_aquas2015.pdf>
and one on anonymisation
<http://aquas.gencat.cat/web/.content/minisite/aquas/projectes/visc/dades_proces_anonimitzacio_visc_aquas2015.pdf>.
They are very ambitious and included opt-out. However, the project has been
now rushed by the government regardless of Parliament, and it is going
ahead with no info whatsoever. A Privacy Officer was to be appointed and as
far as we know the post hasn't even been announced.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Phil Booth <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Gemma,
>

> This is deeply concerning. I’m afraid I don’t read Catalan/Spanish so I
> have only been able to read the articles via Google Translate.
>

> Please could you clarify a few things:
>

> 1) If I understand correctly, the government’s plan boils down to
> identifiable patient data being passed to a commercial entity, as yet
> undetermined, where it will be pseudonymised in some way and then sold on
> to third parties.

The procedure is not clear. In theory anonymisation will happen before the
data is sold to research centres (first phase), who can then sell it to
third parties.

> ·         Do patients have a right to opt out?

No info at the moment. But the info available is strange, as it says people
will be able to opt out of anonymisation...

> ·         If so, how are they to be informed and how do they exercise it?

No info yet. A 'procedure' is mentioned in the documents, but no further
news.

> ·         How will the company that will be receiving the population’s
> identifiable medical records be chosen? Who owns it, etc. etc.? (I’m not
> clear on the difference between ICS, AQuAS, etc. – though that may not be
> relevant.)

ICS is like the NHS. AQuAS is a public agency that will act as data
controller. initially the data will only be shared with research centres,
who can then resell it. Grey area still.

> ·         Which third parties will be able to buy data? Who will approve
> them, and how?

An internal committee and an external board, in theory. But the system has
been launched and such entities don't yet exist.

> ·         Will the (pseudonymised)data itself be passed to the third
> parties or will they only have access to it, e.g. via a ‘safe setting’?

It will be passed to 3rd parties after it is anonymised. No safe setting.

> ·         What independent oversight mechanisms, audit and transparency
> processes are in place?

External evaluation every two years. Privacy Officer. Internal control
body. External board. On paper, looks great. But after rushed process and
non-existence of any of the things announced, we fear the PIA will just be
a paper exercise. We'll monitor process as much as we can.

> 2) Is the proposal to sell data that has been pseudonymised merely by
> means of hashing one (or more) identifiers, i.e. they are doing nothing
> about quasi-identifiers, and are ignoring all the evidence on
> re-identification of linked individual-level data?

See anonymisation document. It is pretty complete. Hashing of all
identifiers + use of broad ranges for location, weight, height, rare
conditions...

> medConfidential has found it helpful to frame secondary uses of patient
> data in terms of “consensual, safe and transparent”. From what I’ve read so
> far, the Catalan government’s plans meet none of these criteria.

Again, the documents mention the need to justify the scientific and
societal value of what will be done with the data.

> Please feel free to contact me direct or give me a call on +44 7974 230
> 839, if it would be helpful to chat.

Basically, we need to monitor this very strange process. The response to
initial criticism was spot on (PIA + guidelines), but we are unaware of any
of the provisions mentioned being in place. We will keep you posted and
thank you for all the links provided. They are most helpful!

> Kind regards,

Happy Easter!