A Stack Exchange-like site might be a good fit. In case you haven’t seen that before, it’s at http://stackexchange.com/ - the idea is that users post questions, other people post answers, and everything can be voted up or down by other users. There’s a game aspect where you get points for writing questions or comments which are voted up, which might motivate some people.

There are a few open-source clones of the Stack Exchange software; helpfully, there’s a list of clones in a Stack Exchange question! http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/2267/stack-exchange-clones

OSQA looks decent - http://www.osqa.net/

Christian

From: The sigma network for cross-university mathematics and statistics support [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kravariti, E
Sent: 21 April 2015 15:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Suitable electronic platform for learning community on research methods and statistics

Dear all,

At the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London, we are piloting a school-wide, student-led, staff-assisted volunteer electronic helpdesk on Research Methods and Statistics. For this purpose, we use a dedicated email account and a number of facilitators including MSc students, PhD students and staff.

We are interested in expanding the scope of the helpdesk and in moving towards a partnership learning community - less of a helpdesk and more a collaborative context for co-learning and exchanging ideas about how to tackle different challenges in research methods, data analysis and statistics. What would work nicely would be a platform where students could place questions/problems/challenges, invite help and open-ended answers from the learning community and where students and facilitators could provide answers, ratings and comments on the different suggested answers. Also, it would be nice to bypass anonymity if people would like to identify themselves, although not essential.  I wonder if you know of any suitable electronic platform that we could use to explore this idea further.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards,

Eugenia Kravariti

New! Read about our flagship MSc in Psychiatric Research here:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/news/records/2014/April/Flagship-MSc-Psychiatric-Research-re-launched-for-2014-15.aspx

Dr Eugenia Kravariti, MA, MSc, PhD

Lecturer in Psychosis Studies, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience

Programme Director, MSc in Psychiatric Research

Tel: (44)20 7848 0331

Email: [log in to unmask]

Address: Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, PO Box 63, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF

Website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/depts/ps/study/pgtaught/psre.aspx

New PsyRes logo - TransResearch - Psychopharm - PsyGen