Hi all,

Just a quick query that I wondered if anybody else had experience of a similar situation. I had a quick browse through the archives but couldn't see anything...

One of my researcher's projects has generated a fair bit of interest, including from a MSc student at another UK institution, who would like to use some of her team's data in his dissertation. She's happy to do so, and is treating it as an extension of her project team in a sense - he'll be collecting similar data but for a different region and he will share this back with her. The data shared will be a limited subset of the whole and won't contain any personally identifying fields/demographics (and we'll help them transfer it securely). To facilitate this collaboration, she's asked me to look over an informal agreement that she's drawn up, which confirms: the purpose of the agreement/sharing of the data; provision of data; use of data; additional publications; and other collaboration (i.e. she will provide support/advice for the dissertation in addition to his primary supervisor at his home institution).

Personally, I feel that this particular agreement feels completely in keeping with the nature of the collaboration and that it all seems fine, but I don't have much experience of such informal arrangements. Does anybody else have any experience of such agreements and if so, were there any unexpected hurdles? Perhaps they're going on all the time and we just don't hear about them...!

Best wishes,
Jenny

Dr Jennifer Basford
Metadata Librarian – Institutional Repository

Marylebone Library
University of Westminster
35 Marylebone Road
London, NW1 5LS