More of the character here, L, & fitting.

'He throws too many stones here’ sort of sums him up, in all the poems, so far. That got a grin, in the midst.

I like the way the thinking advances here...

Doug
On Apr 28, 2015, at 9:47 AM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> He forms hypotheses about himself
>
> as one might lift a stone, standing weighing
> in the hand; and then tossing it; measuring.
>
> He throws too many stones here. The farmers
>
> and the fishermen shout at him, declaring
>
> that he is mad, tonguing their animal snarls.
>

> The ideas pass, his poor mind a streaming.
>
> This aim to hold on to configurations!
>
> the gathering, of souls, of seeds, of rules,
>

> of single instants, bothers him. He fears
>
> that he tries to hold on to what cannot
>
> ever be encompassed for retention.
>

> He'd make a world enough for husbandry,
>
> recognising but not greatly studying
>
> the quick seasons of his own sympathy:
>

> "all my bright ones operate darkness", he writes,
>
> "unity of body and of soul" - "healing
>
> through water and rock" - "love lust or sin monsters" -
>

> "the whirlwind is synonymous with God
>
> a being within a larger nature
> which is in full possession without self".
>

> [Elidius is one of the names of one who may have lived at some time after
> the Roman period on Scilly, or, as it then seems to have been called,
> Ennor. There is no evidence of him apart from the earlier name of St
> Helen's island, where it is said he may have been buried, Insula Sancti
> Elidii. His feast day is 8th August. Until now he has had no hagiographer. ]

Douglas Barbour

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

There is no life that does not rise
melodic from scales of the marvelous.

To which our grief refers.