Thanks.
I suppose you're right. I hadn't actually thought of it as adding character
details; but yes.
I'm not sure how much self-awareness is indicated by his observation that
he throws too many stones. It may not go much further than a pet yelled
thinking "bugger, I must try to remember not to get on the table"
In terms of metaphorical stones, he is - for him - provoked. I imagine the
suspicion there would have been.
Years ago, when there was still a Punch magazine, Punch carried a cartoon
of 3 people - 2 whites, scowling; and 1 black, smiling, but apart from the
whites. The whites watch the black.
First white: What's 'im?
Second white: 'e's a immigrant
First white: 'eave 'alf a brick at 'im
Part of me tends to feel like elidius as I write, unpleasant as that is - a
lite version of Harry Potter and Voldemort. I remember my main concern was
to work in some of his writing / composed imagery -- I tried writing a
diary (ish) thing and it didn' really work
I appreciate your comments
oh yes, just to say the system seems to have fractured my line spacing but
I think it remains readable