> On Apr 18, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> What amazed me historically was how pencils were a critical industrial and military technology

Henry Petroski managed a whole book about the subject--The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance. (I admit I didn't manage to read the whole book and what I did read was well over twenty years ago so I'm not a font of pencil lore.)

Since this all started with book covers and design outcomes, I'm reminded of an AIGA conference when Chip Kidd was a relatively unknown book cover designer and he gave a talk that consisted entirely of snarky readings of memos about various projects. He was obviously peeved at Petroski's complaints about his design for the cover. In a wrap up talk later, Ralph Caplan noted that he didn't think it was unreasonable that someone who'd spent five years writing a book would want his name to be legible on the cover.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program