The Robert Stephenson Trust based in Newcastle Upon Tyne plans to
publish details of the famous engineers time spent with the Columbian
Mining Association between 1824 and 1827. During this time the
Association employed Cornish miners and we would like to hear from or talk to a
mining historian who might be able to give us an idea of the
difficulties and conditions facing the workers.  We have been attempting
 without success for some time to secure some mining experts interest
and wondered if through this forum we might be able to make contact.

Two years ago the Robert Stephenson Trust (RST) purchased copies of 115
letters  written by Rbt. to his manager Illingworth between 1824-7 which are held in the Lilly Library of Indiana University so that we could
examine the development of his character in this crucial period of his
life (born in 1803). Also purchased from the Lilly library were copies
of 15 watercolours painted by Charles Empson, who was Roberts companion
in Columbia. We feel that the story is too one-sided (Robert is fairly
critical of the Cornish miners) without some balancing comment.

J. Michael Taylor MBE, CEng, MICE, FCIHT
Woodlands,
Prestwick Village,
Ponteland,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
NE20 9TX
01661 824017
07777 650871

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------