Michael
Have you read L. T. C. Rolt’s account of Robert Stephenson’s time in
/Colombia in George and Robert Stephenson: The Railway Revolution/,
Harmondsworth, Penguin, 1978? This gives some idea of the conditions
faced by the Cornish miners. It also covers the challenges of the
managers working with the Cornish miners so perhaps used similar sources
as Robert's letters.
There were a large number of mining companies promoted in England to
work in Latin America in the 1820s. Virtually all failed due to poor
management, a lack of understanding of local conditions and insufficient
capital. Cornish know-how and heavy machinery were no match for
mountainous terrain, poor access, tropical conditions and so forth.
The Colombian Mining Association was the second in a series of mining
companies promoted by John Diston Powles between 1824  and 1853, the
first being the Anglo-Mexican Mining Association. I have a particular
interest in Powles, having written an M A thesis on one of his more
successful promotions and subsequently a PhD which/inter alia/ looks at
his broader career. Powles met Benjamin Disraeli, then a young
solicitor’s clerk, when his firm drafted the prospectus for  the
Colombian Mining Association. Disraeli subsequently wrote several
pamphlets for Powles, “puffing” the benefits of investing in Latin
American projects. Disraeli, and a fellow clerk speculated in shares in
both companies but they lost heavily in the market crash in late 1825
and Disraeli was obliged to turn to writing novels to help pay off his
debts!
Regards
John Woodland
Melbourne, Australia