I agree with similarities to orb and cross (globus cruciger) iconography as sometimes used on coins of the period.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Keizer_Frederik_I_Barbarossa_penning_1152-1190_geslagen_Nijmegen.jpg
But that would link to kingship, empire, governance and such - hardly an appropriate attribute for an old testament prophet.

The scallop wedges do share some rose window morphology. However, while the sculptor took pains to richly ornament the arms of the cross and the rim of the disc, he seems to have deliberately left the wedges blank - totally unlike a rose window.

Wheelhouse? Interesting metaphor. Much better than a worn-out old cliché like "bailiwick." But what steered you toward that particular metaphor? Are you a sailor? Is this a phrase you often use? It does not strike me as particularly Byzantine. Or are you making a deliberate or unconscious allusion to something in the image?

Richard