From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of James Bugslag [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Fictive brickwork (in churches)

Laura,
There are biblical references to masonry which, I'm sure, are behind the idea of painted masonry in general, but as you say, from Roman times, brick was really considered a structural material rather than a finished treatment, and as you are undoubtedly aware, about the only actual brickwork visible on major buildings was either on unfinished facades, e.g. the duomo in Florence through the later Middle Ages, or in peripheral locations, such as the side walls of S. Miniato al Monte, whose facade was, as usual, encased in marble sheathing.  One might imagine that, if brickwork were to be painted fictively onto a plaster wall, it might have been intended as a sign of humility, or a rejection of undue expense in building, or some other such negative implication -- or a documentary statement of the unfinished state of a building, perhaps.  I'm assuming you have an example of this in mind?
Jim