In Eastern Orthodox iconography, Jeremiah usually holds just a scroll with
a quotation from either his prophecy or Lamentations on it. But, one does
sometimes see the Archangels (especially Michael) or Christ holding an orb
(sometimes with a cross) that represents the universe. I can see an
association with chrism or holy water, but one of my first thoughts,
honestly, was a rose window. But, then, I'm a byzantinist so this Gothic
sculpture stuff's a bit outside of my wheelhouse (assuming I even actually
HAVE a wheelhouse).