There's a brief discussion, with examples from Venice and from Ferrara in Paul Hills, _Venetian Colour: Marble, Mosaic, Painting and Glass, 1250-1550_ (Yale University Press, 1999), pp. 76-79 [p. 77 is devoted to illustrations of actual brickwork; p. 78 illustrates fictive brickwork in Venice], plus n. 27 on p. 228. The latter refers, inter alia, to Jürgen Michler, "La cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres: réconstitution de la polychromie originale de 1'intérieur", _Bulletin monumental_ 147 (1989), 117-31, so there may be an instance there as well.

Best,
John Dillon