From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Ms B M Cook [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2015 4:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] painted carvings

Dear Maddy et al,

I don’t have notes or references to hand, but what I remember from my days in St Albans, “Amphibalus” = “The Man in the Cloak” is a later nickname for a perfectly real person whose actual name is not known. In the account of the conversion and martyrdom of Saint Alban, the British protomartyr, an otherwise unnamed British Christian priest is given sanctuary at a time of anti-Christian persecution by the then pagan Alban. Impressed by the priest’s piety and the gospel he preaches, Alban is converted. When the military arrive to arrest the priest, Alban changes clothes with him – presumably swaps his toga for the priest’s rough cloak, allowing the priest to escape. Alban is arrested tried and condemned to death. Initially he is to be thrown to the beasts in the arena but manages to convince the judge he is a Roman citizen. He is therefore beheaded by the sword on the hill overlooking the city of Verulamium and a monastery is eventually erected over the site of his place of burial – a monastery dedicated to Saint Alban and around which the modern city of St Albans has grown up. (The date when Alban was martyred is hotly disputed. My money is on the reign of the Emperor Septimus Severus -  but that’s another story!) The Man in the Cloak (Amphibalus) was later captured, martyred and his bones along with those of St Alban were revered in St A’s Abbey. They each had a splendid shrine which at the Reformation were smashed up and used to block an internal wall in the abbey to divide the monastic church in two, one part being the new grammar school and the other part destined to serve as the parish church. In the 19th century the wall was demolished and a big 3D jigsaw puzzle was carried out by antiquarians to restore the two shrines. About 20 years ago, the shrine of St Alban was carefully taken apart and reconstructed and is now very prominent in the Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban. The Victorian bodge-up of St Amphibalus’ shrine is still AFAIK in the north aisle but there have been plans to give it the modern archaeological gold treatment as well. It will be that project that may have finally raised the cash.

The association of Alban and Amphibalus with Caerleon is a clerical error. The Ven Bede refers to A & A and two martyrs of Caerleon all in the same sentence which gave rise to the belief that all 4 belonged to the same location and the same period. Whether the VB was being careless or whether the error was in his sources (I hope the latter!) is impossible to tell.

Brenda M. Cook
Independent Scholar
Member of the Fraternity of the Friends of St Albans Abbey.