From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cate Gunn
Sent: 13 April 2015 14:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] monk as rector

Dear colleagues

my local church (Colne Engaine in north Essex) had as Rector in 1497 a monk of Colne priory, a daughter house of the Benedictine abbey of Abingdon founded by an earl of Oxford who owned land in this area. This monk Rector was dispensed to hold a second benefice or office (this is from the Victoria County History for Essex, the relevant information taken from Cal. Papal  Reg).
How common was it for Benedictine monks to hold benefices and, presumably, carry out parochial duties?
I’ve assumed that Augustinian canons took on such duties and generally were involved in pastoral care (and if anyone knows anything specific about the pastoral duties of canons of the priory of Holy Trinity at Aldgate, London, please let me know!) but didn’t realise this was the case for monks.

many thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice Cate

Cate Gunn

to: [log in to unmask]