And don't forget, many traditions of Merlin have him the son of a incubus pregnancy.  Monmouth follows this tradition in the 12th century.
LL

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 2:33 PM, John Shinners <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The Domican Rudolf von Schlettstadt’s early 14th century collection recounts the tale of a German knight’s wife who sleeps with what she believes to be him but is instead a demon.  She becomes pregnant and gives birth to “to three monsters at once. One monster had teeth like a hog’s, the second had a startlingly long beard, the third had one eye in its face, so reported someone who saw them. But the mother, after the birth of these children, died. The lord, learning that his wife had given birth, quickly arrived. But upon seeing the monsters, he ordered them to be buried immediately.”  (My translation.)  I can send you the full story if you like though I don’t have the Latin original handy.

Rudolf von Schlettstadt, Historiae Memorabiles, Zur Dominkanerliteratur und Kulturgeschichte des 13. Jahrhunderts, ed. Erich Kleinschmidt (Cologne: Böhlau-Verlag, 1972), pp. 96-98.

John