Cate Gunn wrote:

> This is all fitting in with my  suppositions. In my case I believe the
> priory, Colne Priory, owned the advowson (is that the correct terminology?)

Probably not. The usual procedure when a monastery obtained an
advowson was to present themselves (i.e. the monastery) as rector,
thus appropriating (impropriating) the benefice and instituting a
vicarage instead. As previously stated, the vicar would be a secular
priest.

> of Earls Colne church, which was a few hundred yards away, but not that of
> Colne Engaine, across the river. It is at Colne Engaine, however, not Earls
> Colne, that we find a monk of the priory named as rector, and so presumably
> directly responsible for pastoral care of the parish, or at least turning up
> to say mass.

He would have needed a papal dispensation allowing him to accept a
benefice with cure of souls. Examples (or at least purported examples)
are known from the late fifteenth century.
--
John Briggs