> On 1 Apr 2015, at 10:12, Rachel Kasbohm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Also any best practices or pitfalls you can share about what makes a 'good' brief would be much appreciated!

I think we covered some of this recently, but I’d re-iterate a plea for a short summary right at the beginning of the document that says:

We’d like a website that targets [this audience] and conforms to accessibility and mobile device best practices.  We need it live by [this date] and we have [this much] to spend on it.

We like sites that look like:
(list three or four sites that have visual designs that illustrate what you think best fits your needs)

We especially like the way that [this site] does [this]

Essential features are:

Things that would be nice would be this:

*and* then flesh it out.

That way we can see at a glance if we can deliver on time and within budget.  If we don’t think any of the factors are realistic we won’t waste our time pitching.

As an aside, I seriously think the tender process for websites is broken.  Every design & development company will do a competent job, but those that are regular responders to tenders will have increased their rates to allow for all the failed pitches.

Why not draw up your brief and invite agencies whose work you like to quote one at a time?

:o)

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg