Hi Rachel

See recent conversation on here about this very topic:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1503&L=mcg&F=&S=&P=24556

In terms of content - I already mentioned the up-front-ness of budget
and timescales. But also I'd personally prefer a looser brief (!) which
enables more scope during the project to determine what is actually
needed than something which is totally prescriptive. It's rare that
anyone knows exactly what they want to build before they start building it.

Thinking about success is very useful: "We need our website to do X for
Y people and we'll measure this by doing Z".

( Digital Strategy worksheets here - may be useful:
http://out.thirty8.co.uk/digitalstrategy )

The things that we personally look out for as items on a brief that will
usually change / increase cost:

- number of templates ("page layouts")
- Functionality "beyond content management", for example:
 > membership (and for this one, such a huge range of possible things
from really simple to just plain dastardly)
 > ticketing
 > integration with in-house or other systems
 > e-commerce
 > etc..

The thing that we consistently get told about in briefs that make
_absolutely no difference_ to cost is "number of pages" :-)

Hope this helps!

Mike

*Mike Ellis *

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital
agency:http://thirty8.co.uk <http://thirty8.co.uk/>

* My book: http://heritageweb.co.uk <http://heritageweb.co.uk/> *