From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Foster, Ed
Sent: April-22-15 12:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Impact of student attendance policies

Dear all

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd try to find some crowdsourced wisdom

There are a number of papers that very clearly find a correlation between attendance and academic success. However the studies they describe tend to show that over time broadly good attenders do well, those with poor attendance less so.

I've only found one paper that shows any impact on attendance caused by policy - an American paper where the researchers temporarily took away  compulsory attendance rules (Marburger, 2001, Absenteeism and Undergraduate Exam Performance, Journal of Economics Education, 37, 2, p99) and saw attendance decline.

Does anyone have evidence of how any institutional intervention leads to changes in attendance patterns.

  *   For example, a study showing that the introduction of 10% of marks in a module offered for good attendance. Did the implementation change anything?
  *   Or for institutions with changed policies, for example teams more actively following up low attendance, changing overall attendance?

I think that there are good reasons for attendance monitoring other than changing behaviour, but implicit in a lot of policies is that monitoring and intervening will actually change student behaviour and there doesn't appear to be much evidence to support this.

Hopefully this is a question of interest to others too.

Cheers

Ed
DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.