The case study says "You are both from a country where examinations are the main way of assessing KNOWLEDGE."

Assessing knowledge and assessing someone's ability to memorise something are, in my opinion, two completely different things.  The students memorised the answers and yet some of the stuff in this thread suggests the tutor should be castigated.  Could it not be the case that the tutor HAS to assess core parts of the syllabus and that there are only so many ways certain things can be worded in an exam question?

The university has failed the students in some respects because they clearly did not explain the differences re prepping for exams in Britain versus the nameless country the students are from.  If this intervention had occurred (perhaps as part of an overseas/international event, conference or set of workshops), then the students would know that memorising the answers they had worked on together would be inappropriate.  Developing their knowledge in the topic together and referring to past papers, however, is something that should be actively encouraged.

To answer the question though - is it collusion?  No.  The student's approach, however, is all about stuffing the material into short term memory through memorisation, spewing it out on exam day and then letting it fry away to pretty much nothing in the weeks/months after the exam.  Reminds me of that atrocious show 'The Moment of Truth' with Cilla Black, where children would hate their parents because of their inability to memorise seven years of cricket league tables from the early 90s - meaning the vast array of toys before their very eyes would disappear behind a curtain to the sound of Cilla saying 'bad luck, chuck.'

I'm just not sold on the notion that if students memorise material for exams, they've "done nothing wrong".

Dickson.

Dickson Telfer
Academic Development Tutor
School of Health & Life Sciences
Glasgow Caledonian University
0141 273 1814

You can find useful study materials, book yourself a place in a workshop
or book one-to-one appointment on our GCU Learn community page:
http://tinyurl.com/LDCGCULearn