?Dear Colleagues

Can I try this case study out on you?  I have it in mind for an article I am writing on plagiarism.  I will not quote your responses - but they will be helpful in terms of anticipating a range of responses to the scenario. Thanks

Colin Neville

(retired - University of Bradford)

You and your friend are students studying in Britain. You are both from a country where examinations are the main way of assessing knowledge.  It is common practice in your home country to anticipate what questions will be presented in exams and to memorise answers to those questions.  In Britain, in preparation for an exam, you and your friend do the same thing.  With broad hints from tutors, and a survey of past exam papers, you anticipate what questions will be asked in the forthcoming exam. You work together, discussing the likely topics, and think about how and what you would write in the exam. You work out and discuss together what you feel are good answers to likely questions and memorize what you would write.

On the day of the exam, you are seated a few rows apart from each other.  A question you anticipate does appear on the exam paper, and you both write an answer you have memorized.    However, when the tutor is marking the exam papers, he finds the two similarly worded essays. The tutor is very suspicious that you and your friend have colluded to commit plagiarism.   Is the tutor right? Is this a case of collusion?