If anyone's in the Cambridge area on Apr20 and wants to pitch in to
what will (I hope!) be an interesting and interactive discussion after
I've waffled for a bit, please do register!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cambridge Big Data SRI <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 8 April 2015 at 09:16
Subject: Seminar: Human-Data Interaction 2-4pm 20 April 2015
To: [log in to unmask]

Human Data Interaction - Cambridge Big Data/Digital Humanities Research Seminar

20 April 2015, 14:00-16:00.

S1, Alison Richard Building, West Road, Cambridge

Speaker: Richard Mortier (Computer Laboratory)

The increasing generation and collection of personal data has created
a complex ecosystem, often collaborative but sometimes combative,
around companies and individuals engaging in the use of these data. We
propose that the interactions between these agents warrant a new topic
of study: Human-Data Interaction (HDI), that sits at the intersection
of various disciplines, including computer science, statistics,
sociology, psychology and behavioural economics.

In this brief presentation I will pose some of the challenges that HDI
raises, organised into three core themes of legibility, agency and
negotiability. I will also outline some of the technical work we are
currently undertaking that attempts to address some of the underlying
platform problems. My hope is to elicit discussion of both the HDI
framework and the technical solutions we are pursuing, as well as to
engage in a broader conversation about the ways we should approach the
personal data ecosystem with other interested parties.

Please register at
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/human-data-interaction-cambridge-big-datadigital-humanities-seminar-tickets-16337148852.

Sent via the Cambridge Big Data mailing list.

To manage your subscription, receive messages in digest form, or to
leave the list, please visit
https://lists.cam.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/bigdata-all.

--
Richard Mortier