Hi Dhruba,
Your question is a timely one given the recent discussion of the utility of tensors and other quantitative measurements. While you can find a ton of papers on this, Rick Allmendinger et al.'s Structural Geology Algorithms textbook lays out the linear inverse problem most clearly, in my opinion. It is near the end of the text in a section on applications of infinitesimal strain tensors. They also provide MATLAB code that will solve the problem, although once you see the statement of the inverse problem, solving it is actually pretty straightforward if you have a little programming knowledge. I recommend using one of the Gaussian smoothed (distance weighted) inversions since GPS station spacing is typically rather uneven (does not triangulate well), and velocity data can be noisy and/or heterogeneous. Be sure to pay attention to his coordinate system. I seem to recall that he uses a west, north, down Cartesian system.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
-Scott

--