Really...

Putting aside for a second how disrespectful it is to signoff of your last comment with "Yawn," do you really believe that field work and lab work are that divorced from each other?  Of course I think about the three-dimensional strain tensor (and potentially the stress tensor, although I'm not personally that into thinking about constitutive relationships) while I am doing field work.  Lab work and field work are generally an iterative process; my field work informs my lab work and then during my next field season, my lab work informs my field work.  Besides, any time that I look at macroscopic fabrics, I think about how they reflect the kinematics(e.g., 3D finite strain tensor), not quantitatively at that very moment (I'm not Rainman), but I'm definitely thinking about it and ball parking the magnitudes (e.g., the second invariant) and the relative proportions of the principal axes lengths (eigenvalues) and that informs where I do my sampling, which in turn feeds back into my lab work.  What a colossal waste of time and resources it would be for me to only think about "lab-things" in the lab and "field-things" in the field.  How artificial and limiting that would be.  I can't imagine doing science that way.

From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sunil Gupta
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 5:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Teaching Structural Geology

Steven and Scot, you are addressing a point I did not make.  I (and several others in this thread) said that it is hard to find applications when looking at rocks, not that the theory isn't useful at all in any situation.  Nothing you said contradicts that, you both provided few or no examples of needing stress tensors whilst actually examining the rocks.  All or nearly all your examples are calculations carried out in an office.  Yawn.