Interesting question...this will depend on several things. Here are a couple of thoughts to consider: The present-day surface expression of an ancient fault is a random 'line' of intersection on an elliptical (?) fault surface, so where that random line is located will matter. It will also be important to know whether the fault was blind or surface breaching at the time of growth, or in any other way vertically restricted by mechanical boundaries etc.

The paper by Nicol et al in JSG 1996 is of interest here, particularly the discussion about fault aspect ratios...link below:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191814196800472

Cheers,
Atle Rotevatn
Department of Earth Science