Hi Mike,

I think you more constraints/considerations could be added to the list for each, but particularly, since the lists seem out of balance, we should even out the paper-based option. To specify, to the app you’ve added (basic) concerns for design and usability and you’ve not addressed these parallel concerns with the paper option. I’m unsure what your rationale was but I’m sure it was a simple oversight. Regardless, I feel these options are not evenly presented.

First of all, what you’ve listed as cons (installation, logging in, usability) for apps are not overly complicated issues, as I’m sure you know. As you’ve rightly implied though, certain user demographics (ages 55+) may have problems with each of things you’ve listed, as they are less likely to be non- to light-smartphone users and thus more likely to prefer paper-based options. However, this user demographic steadily becoming the minority, as web and smart device communications have been around some time now, even users 55+ are increasing social media use in order to stay connected with family. Also, as smartphone-penetration in the UK and US is now close to 60%, the gap is widening between those who are as unfamiliar with basic smart device functions (installation and logging in), as you seem to be suggesting in your list of limitations.

I’ll re-address the various considerations for those who are interested and keen for a more balanced rationale:

Paper-based: Cons
  1. Low-Medium Time and resources: to plan, design, print, implement, promote, keep/maintain stock, updating (old prints become obsolete), etc. If money is an issue or if there is a lack of leadership (both quite common), the likely outcome will be over stock, out of date stock, and poor distribution. This is transferrable to web or app options.
  2. High Paper waste: Paper waste should be considered. Discarding after use, obsolete stock after updates, etc. Thus, updates are not easy without consideration for stock and wasted resources
  3. Low Potential for Feedback and Evaluation: Not to be undervalued, is the possibility to collect feedback and user data from tourists, which can be used to provided better experiences. Paper options for feedback are not ideal, considering costs and efficiency.
Paper-based: Pros

  1. High Control of context: The design and presentation can be specific to purpose. However, changes are not easy and require consideration for current stock and redistribution.
  2. High Convenience: Likely to be convenient for people to grab. Likely to be easy find, depending on prominent locations.

App-based: Cons (Less the balance the first list of cons)

  1. Medium-High Time and resources: to plan, design, launch, promote, maintain server, update expenses, etc
  2. ? Privacy: Privacy is a concern and ensuring good communication about how personal data is used is important; that said, research indicates that people are mostly willing to provide their data if it’ll be used to add value to their experience  with a service provider — the secret ingredient seems to be user involvement and transparency.

App-based: Advantages (more to balance the first list of cons)

  1. High Control of context: The design and presentation can be specific to purpose. As well, providing a “digital” paper option that people can download might very well BE an app, provided features are added for interaction, like a map with points of interest. As well, updates are pretty easy to add through.
  2. Zero paper waste: Alternatively, paper waste is not an issue here because the app just needs to be updated.
  3. High Interaction: Possible for unparalleled interaction, depending on how far you want this to go and what sort of data constraints seem best. Although, to get over data constraints and encourage people to use their smart devices, the city could offer free wifi…
  4. High Convenience: For those interested in more interactive options...
  5. High Potential for Research and Evaluation: The possibility for user-level feedback is now unparalleled, as this can be tied to other app functions like points of interest, even listings, loyalty and in app purchases — *see www.qualiaanalytics.orghttp://qualia.org.uk/, and http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academicstaff/jensen/qualia/ and http://www.artory.co.uk/

As I’m sure you know, it takes time and resources to implement any marketing/informational material, paper-based options are no exception. Consideration has to be taken for usability and design for paper options as well and in a similar fashion to web or app-designs.

In any of these cases, someone needs to take the lead for design and implementation, someone needs to pay for it, potential partner organisation’s need to be supportive, etc. A tourists' willingness to be involved is likely scale with the usefulness they perceive from each of these options, which can be influenced by how well they’re promoted (generally speaking).

That doesn’t mean you only use one option, as I would advocate both a paper-based AND an app-based solution to cross-over the various user segments (based on motivations, interests, and technological savvy).

Best wishes,

Aaron

Aaron M Jensen, MSc
Doctoral Researcher: Entrepreneurship
Masters: Marketing
c: 0747 938 3328

You can find more about me here:

*I’m affiliated with Qualia Analytics and we’re partnered with iDAT to facilitate this level of research.