Dear experts,

I am performing a correlation analysis and I end up with positive and
negative correlation values for the same connected regions in different
subjects.

For instance: I am calculating the correlation between many seeds. Let's
suppose, regions A and B are one pair of connected seeds. For 30 subjects
from the control group I get a positive correlation value, and for 10
subjects from the control group I get a negative correlation value. This
also happens in the patient group and even in different proportions (i.e.,
20 positive and 10 negative).

I am concerned about how to treat this values. Should I just average the
values regardless of the sign? Should I use absolute values? Or should I
exclude patients and controls with negative correlation values and perform
comparison after that? Should I just zero the negative and do the
comparison?

Do you recommend any other approaches?

Thank you for any ideas,
All the best