From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sumaira Khalid Naseem
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Workshop on the accessibility of research events

Hi

I am a postgraduate research student at Manchester Metropolitan University. I am co-organising a workshop on the accessibility of research events (conferences, seminars, symposia etc.) for disabled people.  I am writing a proposal at this stage.

I request contributions for this workshop based on your experiences as a delegate, attendee, presenter and/or organiser. All contributions, ideas or suggestions are welcome from anyone who is interested in this issue.

You may want to think about the following but are not limited to these issues:

Examples of good practice e.g adjustments;

Negative experiences;

Issues or reasons that have prevented you from taking part because the research event was inaccessible to you.

I am interested in this issue of accessibility and research events as a result of my own experience as a disabled student.  I often encounter speakers or presenters who have a large amount of text on a slide and ask everyone to read it or use images which they do not describe.  Such practices affect my engagement because of my visual impairment.

If you would like to contribute your experiences then please share them with me by email to:

Thank you

Sumaira Khalid Naseem
@SumairaKNaseem
twitter.com/sumairaknaseem<http://twitter.com/sumairaknaseem>
sumairakhalidnaseem.blogspot.com<http://sumairakhalidnaseem.blogspot.com/>

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies<http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies>).

Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html>