Aha. You're quoting *my* privacy course there ;-)

> If the processing “necessary” for your functions you don’t need to rely on
> consent.
>
> In fact, the Regulation is likely to limit the choice for public bodies to be
> necessary for your functions or legal obligation (equivalent of para 5 or 3 of
> sched 2; para 7 sched 3)

Something that's puzzled me for a while... Is it defined anywhere how wide "public body" goes? If it's as wide as, e.g. FoIA, I can think of a lot of organisations within scope whose detailed processing activities aren't laid down in law. Or is the "necessary for public function" wide enough to catch those, do you think (and, if so, why the need for legal obligation at all?) ?

Cheers
Andrew