From: Bosman, J.M. (Jeroen) (Jeroen) <[log in to unmask]>
To: CRIT-GEOG-FORUM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 11:39
Subject: Re: New open access journals: Geo - Geography and Environment

Dear Gail,

Thanks for this and good to hear Geo is gaining momentum.  It is certainly a valuable addition to the landscape. I will add this to the list of optional OA publication venues when advising authors, despite the rather high APC.

But maybe there is still opportunity to go a little bit further. Below I have checked how Geo scores on the “wish list” posted on crit-geog. I hope Wiley will make further steps.

V - fully Open Access
V - APC waivers for those who apply (e.g. from LMI countries)
V - online only
V - indexing at least by Google Scholar and DOAJ, at a later stage also Scopus, Web of Science and others (I expect that is in the works)
V - making it easy to link to additional material (data, video, code etc.) shared via external platforms like Zenodo or Figshare
V - using DOI

(choice) - CC-BY license
? - in principle no size restrictions
? - no IF advertising
? - open for text mining
? - using e.g. LOCKSS or Portico for digital preservation

X - maximum APC of 500 USD (or perhaps a lifetime membership model like that at PeerJ) (Geo APC at Wiley currently at USD 1440)
X - authors retain copyright
X - no issues: continuous publishing
X - peer review along PLOS One idea: only check for (methodological) soundness (and whether it is no obvious garbage or plagiarism), avoiding costly system of multiple cascading submissions/rejections
X - peer review reports themselves are citable and have DOIs
X - post pub open non anonymous peer review, so the community decides what is the worth of published papers
X - providing a suite of article level metrics
X - really international profile of editors/board
X - making (small) updates to articles possible (i.e. creating an updated version)
X - using ORCID
X - optionally a pre-print archive (but could rely on SSRN as well)

Best,
Jeroen

Jeroen Bosman, faculty liaison for the Faculty of Geosciences
telephone: +31.30.2536613
mail: Postbus 80124, 3508 TC, Utrecht, The Netherlands
visiting address: room 2.50, Heidelberglaan 3. Utrecht
twitter:@geolibrarianUBU / @jeroenbosman
blogging at: I&M 2.0 / Ref4UU