 I don't normally post Daily Mail stories on CG, but this one made me think...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3062477/Travel-nightmare-rail-passengers-stuck-trains-FIVE-HOURS-sweltering-conditions-no-air-conditioning-power-failure-Clapham-Junction.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-84541267#comment-84541267

London commuters stuck for 5 hours on sweltering trains after a power failure.

Why do we spend over 1,000 hours a year commuting, inc. dressing smartly for the office, and then eating less-than-healthy office lunches - just to go and sit, mostly, at a computer, doing docs, spreadsheets, emails etc - wheh most commuters have a perfectly good computer at home. If the boss distrusts our output is up to scratch just because we're sat in pyjamas at home, well our output is all there on ICT for her to check on. And we can talk to colleaugues on Skype, if email isn't good enough.

All part of a wider Q - why do Greens promote renewable energy etc but the best form of conservation (both energy and physical resources) - less consumption - is less promoted. And of you think we can't easily consume less, take a stroll round your nearest garden centre, theh down your High Street, past all the hairdressers, fashion shops, beauticians etc.

How many resources does it take to make, transport, these vital items?

Dr Hillary J. Shaw
 Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport