This morning's news, Greece is seeking links with Russia to help its economy. There is a long history of linkis between these 2 countries, just out of living memory for many. For example, mutual opposition to Turkey in the late 19th century; the strong presence of a Communist Party in Greece after WW I; further back, the closeness of the Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox Churches  - http://www.fooddeserts.org/images/000GreekTurk.htm

Geopolitically Russia has long sought a warm water Mediterranean port - part of the whole Russia-Turkey conflict of the 19th century. Any bets on when the Russian Navy will get docking rights at Piraeus?

With the wonderful benefit of hindsight, a lot of major historical events can be 'seen coming' from several decades back. For example, the naval arms race between Britain and Germany, decades before WW I. See http://www.fooddeserts.org/images/000CanalSea.htm, 1880s, 1890s, 1900s. Or the French support for the American colonists in the War of independence, which ironically was of great benefit to Britain long run as a weaker France, post Revolution, post Napoleon, didn't exactly hinder British 19th century colonial ambitions in Africa and Asia.

Any guesses on what the past few decades are leading up to in the 2020s?  As a starter, maybe watch the Amur, Khabarovsk area?

Dr Hillary J. Shaw
Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport