Good Morning everybody,

I’m Lucy Evans, at the Bodleian Library and I consider myself a rare books cataloguer at heart.

I began my library career at the Bodleian Library as a graduate trainee, which involved a three month placement in the RB department. This was easily my favourite department and I was keen to get into the rare books world in general. I was very lucky in that a project job opened up in the department, cataloguing the modern items in the Opie Collection of Children’s Literature. I trained as an OLIS cataloguer (the Oxford standard) and catalogued modern books for about a year before starting in house training on antiquarian items. I then moved on to working on the Early Printed Books Project (EPB), a Bodleian project which catalogued items in the colleges of Oxford. I was mainly based at Harris Manchester College cataloguing non-conformist tracts but I also worked at Merton and Lady Margaret Hall. From here I moved to Reading to work as the maternity cover for the RB Librarian and from there on to the exciting “returned books” project at Lambeth Palace Library. http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/apr/29/lambeth-palace-stolen-books-retrieved

I am now working as the Assistant Curator of Rare Books at the Bodleian Library, I spend about half of my time cataloguing. At the moment my projects include cataloguing all the newly purchased books in the department, a collection of French books recently purchased, a collection of uncatalogued ballads and, just completed, the collection of the West Indian Committee.

All the best, Lucy