Kristine,

I did the course on children’s books at the London RBS and it was excellent! I would also LOVE to make it to one of the US courses one day.

All the best, Lucy (Bodleian Library)

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kristine Chapman
Sent: 15 April 2015 10:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIG-E-FORUM] Routes into rare book cataloguingþ

Hi,

I am the Principal Librarian at the National Museum Wales.

I am not a full time rare books cataloguer, or in fact a full time cataloguer at all, as my role involves a wide range of activities, but one of them is caring for, and cataloguing the rare books collection here.

I was already working in the Museum when I did my Masters, so I took part one of the Rare Books module that Aberystwyth was offering as part of my course [sadly I haven’t done part two, as it hadn’t been prepared by then].

Since then I’ve done a practical cataloguing workshop at Middle Temple Library in London thanks to the Historic Libraries Forum, and also a Conservation and Care course at the National History Museum, which although it did not focus on cataloguing covered a great deal on the history of the book, and how we describe the various parts that make up the physical object.

I try to supplement that with reading as much as possible, although a lot of it seems to be just trying to figure things out for yourself!!

My ambition is to get on one of the fab Rare Books School courses that run in London each summer, http://www.ies.sas.ac.uk/london-rare-books-school or the ones that run in the US  http://www.rarebookschool.org/courses/libraries/l10/ or http://www.rarebookschool.org/courses/libraries/l30/

Kristine Chapman
Prif Lyfrgellydd / Principal Librarian

Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales

Parc Cathays / Cathays Park