Hi,

I haven’t been able to partake actively but have been keeping an eye on all the emails and have saved a few records to look at…at some point!

We do have rare books at Aberystwyth but there isn’t much of a plan or push to catalogue them or improve the basic records as we are very student focused rather than research. I do keep some nearby for the odd moment and currently have a great graduate trainee (who is reading these emails!) a day or so a week working on some Welsh/Gaelic and flora materials which have proved really interesting.

Our records don’t look too different – since we are cataloguing all items in hand (as opposed to shelf ready) using RDA our GT has been doing the same with the rare books in a fairly simple way – using the 561, 700s, note fields and the 563 for bindings. He has experience of rare books as a seller so can do 563s whereas I feel I have no grounding at all…I would love to do a course one day.

I have the Aberystwyth Rare Books 1 module somewhere but it isn’t so long ago I finished the Archives Administration diploma so I have needed time off! Sounds like it would be a good experience though so I will return to it.

Thanks very much for all the information and sharing of records and experience!

Amy

Dr Amy Staniforth

Arweinydd Tîm Cadwrfa Sefydliadol a Metadata /
Institutional Repository and Metadata Team Leader

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth / Information Services
Llyfrgell Hugh Owen Library
Prifysgol Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth
SY23 3DZ
Ffôn/Tel 01970 622085
E-bost/E Mail   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Cadair: http://cadair.aber.ac.uk/