Hi Peer,

The first thing I would suggest is calculating the self-rotation again but using the FC from the refined model, for comparaison. Then, if you don't see the same supplementary peaks, you can try to play with the integration radius and resolution range. This could give you some hint on the origin of these peaks.

Best regards,
Pierre

De : CCP4 bulletin board [[log in to unmask]] de la part de Peer Mittl [[log in to unmask]]
Envoyé : mercredi 29 avril 2015 13:59
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : [ccp4bb] self-rotation in the absence of NCS

We are working with a multi-domain protein crystallized in SG P6_5 with
one molecule per asymmetric unit. The structure was refined at 2.00 A
resolution with reasonable R-factors but unfortunately the domain we are
most interested in seems to be disordered. Interestingly, the
self-rotation function shows peaks on the kappa=180° plane (omega=90°,
phi=19° (and every 30°)), with more than 50% origin peak height.
Therefore, we are wondering if perhaps the space group assignment might
be sub-optimal. Any explanations how these self-rotation peaks could
occur and how we could extract meaningful information to resolve the
disordered domain are welcome.

Best regards,
Peer

P.S. Some additional information: pointless suggests SG P6_5, the data
doesn't seem to be twinned (L-test), the refined part of the structure
has no "internal symmetry" and refinement in P1 doesn't reveal the
"lost" domain.

--
Peer Mittl, PD Dr.

Tel.   +41-(0)44-6356559