Dear CCP4 Member,
I seek your advice on the refinement issues at the low resolution 4A. I am
trying to refine a membrane protein structure after getting the phases from
MR using the PHASER. The soluble domain structure which comprises of 40% of
protein has been used as template (sequence identity 80%) in MR search .
The PHASER gave  a good solution having TFZ value of about 14.3. I have
then created the polyA model for the transmembrane domain from distant
homolog which share 30% sequence identity for TM region and try to find the
phases for whole TM domain keeping the soluble domain fixed. I got lucky in
getting the phases for the whole protein using the PHASER (TFZ=17.6) but
the during the refinement, Rwork and Rfree got stalled at the 41 and 44
respectively after several cycle of the refinement in both refmac and
phenix. I checked the spacegroup with pointless and it suggests C2221. I
have attached the pointless and phenix.xtriage run file with this mail for
your evaluation. Phenix.xtriage suggests no major pathologies with the data
except the mild psuedomerohedral twining. There are two molecules of
protein in ASU. Evaluation of the density maps, suggest reasonable map for
the most of protein part. I am wondering why Rwork and Rfree are not coming
down despite of the good MR solution and what i am doing wrong with
refinement and if there is some pathologies associated with the data which
needs to be answered before heading to refinement.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Appu