Dear Aldona,

How likely do you think it is that your pit contains dung? Cattle and
pigs forage (not sure if this is the right word) on acorns that have
fallen off oak trees. So, could your pit be a 'dung' pit? I do not
know the context (what else was found there besides plant remains) and
whether this possibility makes sense, but given the other
archaeobotanical components it is a possibility.

I have seen cattle feed on acorns that have fallen from oak trees, I
have collected the dung for analysis, for years now waiting in a bag
in my office, just never found the time to do something with it.... If
it makes sense and you need more info I could look at the 'digested'
acorns. That was the reason I kept this dung, to see what effect
digestion may have on acorn seed morphology.

Best,

Tania

Soultana Maria Valamoti,
Associate Professor,