Dear Ines,
thank you. The pit is typical in shapeand construction for that archaeological culture. Not the only one in the site. Acorns and others are charred. It's origin is surely not natural.
All the best
Aldona

Dear Aldona,

Please find attached two other references that might be of interest. If you are dealing with a really small pit and you don't have evidence of human activity or processing, you could also consider the possibility of being a squirrel cache.

Best wishes,

Inés

Thank you all for the info. We usually try to proof something unusual, especially in our modern world and now it seems that acorns were only eaten by humans in the past... Of course I can imagine that nobody fed animals from pots or prepared acorns for them by roasting. But what if we found acorns in a small storage pit accompanied by twigs and seeds/fruits of grassland plants? Of course not only. There are also typical cultivars in the pit. That is not clear.
Didn't people collect fodder for winters? In forested lanscape with natural, hungry carnivors (like wolves and neighbours:) winters were dangerous. If they did, what was used for storing? Why not pits?
Thank you all for a lot of data and litarature. It is and will be studied
With my best wishes
Aldona

Hi Aldona,

Yes as both Tania Valamoti and Helmut Kroll have mentioned, we do not need to consider acorns as fodder only. With some kind of processing they could be eaten. The ancient Arcadians (Greece) were known as the acorn eaters….!

Best to you, Anaya