The argument Adam cites is, I think, also made in Robert Axelrod's The
Evolution of Cooperation, based on game theory.  Whether it's
true or not is another matter.  As are the implications.  After all, anyone
who played the board game "Diplomacy" as a kid probably
figured out that the best way to compete was to form a cooperative group to
first wipe out everyone else.  Rivalry with the outsiders
is the most powerful source of cooperation inside.  So I"m highly skeptical
of the idea that cooperation is a matter of "altruism" as
generally understood.