Frison, George C. and Van Norman, Zola               1986      The Wind River Canyon Burial and Cache:  48HO10.          Archaeology in Montana 26(2):43-52

George describes a series of steatite shaman pipes from the site, one of which is inscribed with two flying cranes.

I can come up with a pdf if anybody is interested.

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susanne Miller
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Query: Heron and crane in archaeofauna, western North America

Greetings ever-responsive Zooarchers:   Back story:  I'm working on an archaeological fauna from a shallow rockshelter in SW Idaho, USA,  near a significant river.  The site is also known for wonderful rock art, including a fine rare depiction of a long-legged and long-necked wading bird.  And Lo! - great blue heron (Ardea herodias) remains are within the fauna, but with no unequivocal features of cultural involvement.  This is first for me, among several faunas I've worked on in the region.

I've explored the ethnographic literature and have access to some very few reported uses of herons and cranes in historic symbolism, material culture,  and subsistence, and archaeological context,  mostly from central North America - but finding nothing for the western region.

I would be grateful if anyone can point me to these species (heron, crane)  in archaeo faunas, anecdotal, grey literature, references, and pdfs - most welcome.  Information from outside this geographic area also welcome for a compendium.

I promise to share any findings, including citations I retrieve, with the listserv.

Thank you,   Susanne Miller