From: Managing institutional Web services [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin Mears
Sent: 17 March 2015 10:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Online Personalisation

On 16/03/2015 15:39, "Paul Boag" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

For what it is worth I have very little time for personalisation. In most cases it seems to be something management latch on to without really understanding why they want it and what business benefit it will provide. Often they don't even know what they mean by personalisation.

I’d broadly agree with this. What worries me about personalisation is that the organisation makes assumptions about what people might want and/or need to see which are naturally based on what the organisation thinks. I’d favour an approach where you get asked to login when there’s a need – usually when you want to complete a task that needs to know who you are.

A nice illustration of what’s wrong with the personalisation mindset is the existence and use of a feature called ‘mandatory read’ in our staff intranet. The fact that people think that is something useful or desirable suggests that User needs aren’t being put first.

--

Kevin Mears

Senior Web Developer

IT Services | Gwasanaethau TG

University of South Wales │Prifysgol De Cymru

Pontypridd

CF37 1DL

Tel │Ffôn: 01443 4 82446

http://www.southwales.ac.uk