I think the crux of this is what we define as personalisation.  It isn’t necessarily the correct name and salutation as this is a ‘cosmetic’ layer that may not add real value to the user whereas an understanding of that user’s requirements, past interactions with your institution and the personalisation of the experience they have when visiting an online resource would have greater impact and resonance.  Giving the user the ability to curate what they view and allowing us to push those content themes to them would in my opinion be the most effective personalisation that could be offered.

I agree with Kevin Mears that organisations are guilty of making assumptions about what the user wants to see and not putting the user at the centre of the information flow.

Denys Andrianjafy

E-communications Manager

Faculty of Health and Wellbeing, Web Editor

Corporate Communications Unit

Canterbury Christ Church University

Rochester House

Canterbury CT1 1UT

Kent

Tel: 01227 767700 ext 2821

Website:http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/
Twitter: @CanterburyCCUni
Facebook: ChristChurchUni

Registered Company limited by guarantee (No: 4793659)

Registered Charity (No: 1098136)