This is a numerical instability that used to occasionally occur in part of the algorithm. I haven't seen it for a while though. Which spm version are you using? If it is SPM8, do you have the latest updates installed?

To save memory, only single precision floating point is used in the computations. This makes algorithms very susceptible to unexpected behaviour when, for example, values are added together in a different order.

Best regards,
John