Dear David,

I tend to think "beautiful" is a dimension of space syntax. Let me know
explain why.

The shift from geometric details to topological relationship is the
essence of space syntax. This shift enables us to see the underlying
scaling pattern of far more short lines than large ones, or
topologically, far more less-connected lines than well-connected ones.
Furthermore, it is the scaling pattern or property (revealed by the
head/tail breaks) that evokes a sense of beauty in human deep psycho. If
"beautiful" has not been a dimension of space syntax, it is time now to
recognize it. What do you think?

Thanks and cheers.

Bin
On 2015/3/4 21:58, David Seamon wrote:

> Abdelbaseer,
>
> You need to think through carefully what you wish to mean by
> “beautiful,” a term that is very much out of fashion among the
> artiste/designers these days. Clearly, “beautiful” in an aesthetic
> sense is different from “beautiful” in terms of robust urban life or
> distinctive sense of place. “Beautiful” is a key word in Christopher
> Alexander’s work but he associates it with such other possibilities as
> “healing,” “wholeness,” “environmental vitality,” and so forth. In
> that regard, his work on Turkish carpet geometry as well as his NEW
> THEORY OF URBAN DESIGN (1987) and his four-volume THE NATURE OF ORDER
> (2002-05) are central texts. I would also recommend several chapters
> in Carmona’s PUBLIC PLACES, URBAN SPACES (2^nd edition), esp. the
> chapter on visual and perceptual dimensions of urban design. These
> chapters are very good overviews of work key to the question of
> “beautiful.”
>
> It’s curious you make this request on the space syntax list serve,
> since “beautiful” directly is not really a dimension of space-syntax
> theory. I’m curious as to why you mention it here?
>
> Dr. David Seamon
>
> Professor of Environment-Behavior & Place Studies
>
> Department of Architecture
>
> 211 Seaton Hall
>
> Kansas State University
>
> Manhattan, KS 66506-2901
>
> 785-532-5953

> www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/ <http://www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/>
>
> http://ksu.academia.edu/DavidSeamon

Bin Jiang
Division of Geomatics
Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development
University of Gävle, SE-801 76 Gävle, Sweden
Phone: +46-26-64 8901    Fax: +46-26-64 8758
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/
Academic Editor: PLOS ONE

BinsArXiv: http://arxiv.org/a/jiang_b_1
Axwoman: http://fromto.hig.se/~bjg/axwoman/