Chris,

            I use a VARK questionnaire at the start of term and encourage the students to post the numbers of the VLE. I can then create a graph of the class learning styles.

It serves as a reminder to me of the individual needs of students. It helps the students understand that their style is likely to be different to the people sitting on either side and certainly very different to mine (high kinaesthetic). I don’t spend long on it in class but encourage the students to understand their own mental models, those of others and to be able to work with them.

Stevie

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Martindale
Sent: 02 March 2015 21:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Diagnostic tests to assess individual learning styles?

Dear colleagues,

Can I draw upon the resources of your knowledge and experience? I am looking for a workshop activity that will help learners to discover their individual learning preference or style. I am aware of at least some of the models in the literature produced by Kolb, Gregoric, Fielder-Silverman or Fleming's VARK questionnaire. Ideally the test does not have to be too complicated and it has to include a visual outcome of some kind. Your suggestions would very welcome and save me having to 're-invent the wheel'.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Chris Martindale

Learning Enhancement

University of Derby

Tel. 01332-591212

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this was sent to you in error, please select unsubscribe.

Unsubscribe and Security information contact: [log in to unmask]
For all FOI requests please contact: [log in to unmask]
All other Contacts are at http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/