Yes, there is, which suggests that the mind/matter dualism prevents us from fully understanding just how complex the relationship is between ourselves, the environment and others.  However, our sensory functions are shaped by our experiences so when using them in any social situation, we may tend to draw upon or become reliant upon any one of them in ways that prevent us from engaging with phenomena differently.

My anthropology background is starting to show now!  My main point is that we should try to avoid a disembodied model of learning and while learning styles may be an attempt to see learning as more embodied, they can in fact obscure it by way of narrowing our perceptions of what is possible.

On 6 March 2015 at 16:24, David Andrew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

There is a branch of anthropology which deals with this, in relation to the cultural context.

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicholas Bowskill
Sent: 06 March 2015 16:18

To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Diagnostic tests to assess individual learning styles?

Our senses function as interactive mediators between the mind and the social environment, don't they? Therefore it is surely only the social situation, or being mindful of particular social identities etc., that determines whether any one or more of our senses has *saliency* in a given moment (I think saliency may be more accurate than 'preferences' because it is not always a conscious selection).

Best Wishes,

Nick

Dr.Nicholas Bowskill,

University of Derby (Education),

Kedleston Road,

Derby

Nicholas Bowskill is a former Kelvin-Smith Scholar at University of Glasgow. He is lead tutor for SEDA online workshop on Introduction to Educational Change and an online tutor (Education) at University of Derby. SharedThinking is an independent consultancy.