I think dave's critique provides a brilliant outline of an article for the book!  JOHM

On Wednesday, 18 March 2015, BYRNE D.S. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Jeff Evans mentioned Q Step in his recent email re possible books / publications from Radstats. I have serious issues with the rationale behind Q Step although I accept that some local centres are doing decent things. For a context on this I recommend Brian Castellani's piece in Society Today - see:
http://www.discoversociety.org/2014/11/04/focus-complexity-and-the-failure-of-quantitative-social-science/

Bluntly put the conventional quantitative programme across the social sciences has, as the Gulbenkian Commission on the Future of the Social Sciences noted in 1996, very largely failed. This is not an attack on statistics as numbers - vital for social description, nor on the sensible and limited use of exploratory approaches but on the dominance of conventional linear methods and the belief that the social sciences have to be capable of mathematical formalism to be proper sciences. So Q Step comes along and says we solve this by training undergraduates in more formal mathematics and 'advanced' statistical methods. The cruder exponents of this position, not I think to be found among the Radstats membership, refer to the great success of the quantitative programme in Economics to encourage this trend!!

On the whole Radstats has not had a lot to say about methods although there was some decent discussion in Demystifying Social Statistics. I am struck by how there is not so much a debate about these issues as an absence of one. For example I think that a lot of what is done at the Cathie Marsh Centre in Manchester is done ignoring the points Marsh herself made in her wonderful book on Surveys in Social Research.

We would all agree that innumeracy is not a valid epistemological position otherwise we would not be in Radstats but there is a politics of methods as well as a politics of numbers. The politics of methods is first an internal politics of the Academy but it has implications which go beyond it. I think the politics of numbers matters a lot more since most of the numbers are based on nothing more complicated than counting and that is crucial but the politics of methods matters as well.

David Byrne

****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]. Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************
****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************