Dear all

I have recently noted a few jobs advertised on PSCI-COM where part of the
application process requires the applicant to state their last salary. One
job ad threatens to not consider applicants who do not disclose their last
salary.

My understanding is that this is
​ not very good practice
 in recruitment. The main reasons that I can think of include:

This is sheer laziness on the part of the new employer - if they can't work
out what the job is worth to them, they shouldn't rely on potential new
recruits to somehow set the value of the post.

And of course, this practice perpetuates the gender pay gap: given that
women have a tendency to be paid less than male colleagues at some point in
their life (usually in their first job), this practice ensures that those
underpaid never catch up, as presumably the only reason why an employer
wants to know your last salary is to pay you only slightly more.

What does everyone else think? And can anyone suggest a good diplomatic
course of action in applying for such jobs?

Yours, doing my bit to challenge the gender pay gap! Happy International
Women's Day for Sunday 8 March!

Sarah

Dr Sarah Peers FRSA FWES

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)