On 05/03/2015, at 00:42, Terence Love wrote:

> In general, the conclusions of the review were that the findings and claims
> of the authors were incorrect or unsubstantiated.
>
> If I remember right, in the final edited version Ken added that seeing this
> book as a reference in a PhD might be a good indicator that the PhD was
> faulty.
>
> Gray and Malin's  Visualising Research  is not  a book I'd recommend.
>
> Perhaps David could provide access to the DRN review for you to check my
> analyses?  Maybe I was badly mistaken and it would be good to know!

Dear Terry,

Thank you for the heads-up.
I do find it very likely that your conclusions are for the most right.
I don't have the book. I read it in a library 7 years ago, so I can't confirm specifics.
I tried to find your review, but only found Ken's editorial (which is very enlightening):
http://researchbank.swinburne.edu.au/vital/access/manager/Repository/swin:13699

What I remember finding helpful back then was:
1. General introduction to research and stress on need to choose where you stand on an epistemological level, and related research methods;
2. Report of many completed doctoral research;

Like I already stated, it reports much research that is useless to others, and research that I find has no place in *design* research. And yes, you and Ken are right in that it has many problems, but regarding the present discussion (unless you have reason to believe the data presented is false) I still think it is a useful book because of the reported experience.

It is interesting to notice that what I remember was that it kind of talked about the need for "serious" research... I don't remember it being so full of contradictions. I guess that goes to show the level of ineptitude I was used to deal with.

Best regards,

Carlos Pires

Design & New Media MFA // Communication Design PhD Student @ FBA-UL

Check the project blog: